Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • COVID-19: Number of cases not threatening enough to consider a lockdown amid rising cases
  • National News

COVID-19: Number of cases not threatening enough to consider a lockdown amid rising cases

Admin August 12, 2021
covid 19 vaccine and erectile dysfunction

COVID Vaccine

August 12, 2021

The Federal Government on Thursday said it was not considering a lockdown despite rising cases of COVID-19 infections across the country.

Speaking at the weekly ministerial briefing organized at the State House in Abuja, Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the number of cases were not threatening enough, yet, for a lockdown to be considered.

On Wednesday Nigeria had recorded 790 cases of new COVID-19 infections, according to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.

The figure was the highest in about six months.

A recent surge in infections has been partly attributed to the Delta variant, which is believed to be more contagious and deadlier.

vaccne
Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire

Nigeria is expected to step up its Covid vaccination program after receiving over four million doses of the Moderna vaccine from the US government last week.

Only about one percent of the population has been vaccinated, so far.

The second phase of the national vaccination programme is expected to kick-off next Monday.

Minister Ehanire also said on Thursday Nigeria is not only relying on donated vaccines from other entities.

The countries has benefitted from vaccines donated by COVAX and the US.

According to Ehanire, Nigeria has procured nearly 40 million doses of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine through the African Union.

He also assured those who have taken the first shots of the AstraZeneca vaccine of the availability of second doses by the end of August when 3.9 million doses of the vaccine type is expected to arrive the country.

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: AstraZeneca COVAX Moderna Osagie Ehanire

Post navigation

Previous Indonesia to investigate forcible restraint of Nigerian diplomat
Next Village Head in Kaduna narrates how his 3 children escaped from kidnappers’ den

Related Stories

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis zamfara state
  • National News

Zamfara Government Records 290,000 IDPs Amid Escalating Security, Humanitarian Crisis

August 19, 2026
Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund
  • National News

Education Relief: Tinubu Directs Recovered EFCC Cash and Dormant Funds to NELFund

August 19, 2026
Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.