Skip to content
August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Court dismisses Emefiele’s application to travel to UK for medicals
  • National News

Court dismisses Emefiele’s application to travel to UK for medicals

Admin July 16, 2024
FG vs ASUU

Judiciary symbol

July 16, 2024

A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court on Tuesday dismissed an application filed by the suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele to travel to the UK medical treatment.

The EFCC charged Emefiele with criminal breach of trust, forgery, conspiracy to obtain by false pretence and obtaining money by false pretence, when he served as the apex bank’s boss.

Among the allegations was that the former CBN boss forged a document titled: Re: Presidential Directive on Foreign Election Observer Missions dated January 26, 2023 with Ref No. SGF.43/L.01/201 and purported same to have emanated from the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (AGF).

Besides he is also accused of using his office as CBN governor to confer unfair and corrupt advantage on two companies; April 1616 Nigeria Ltd and Architekon Nigeria Ltd.

Emefiele in the amended charge was alleged to have, on February 8, 2023 knowingly obtain, by false pretence, $6,230,000.00 by falsely representing that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation vide a letter dated January 26, 2023 with Ref No. SGF 43/L.01/201 requested the CBN to provide a contingent logistic advance in the sum of $6,230,000 “in line with Mr. President’s directive.”

Justice Hamza Muazu, dismissed the application in a ruling.

Muazu held that though the applicant stated that he would be away from July 28 to Sept 10, there was no medical appointment or invitation brought before the court.

He held that though, the court had the discretion to grant leave but the applicant is standing trial in various charges in three courts, two in FCT and one in Lagos.

” The letter of invitation for medical follow up is not attached.

” As it stands now, I can not use my discretion to grant the application and he is standing trial in three courts.

” The application is hereby dismissed and the adjourned date for continuation of trial still stands” he held.

At the proceedings of June 25, Enefiele’s lawyer, Mathew Burkaa, SAN, informed the judge of the defendant’s application for medical leave.

The judge adjourned the hearing of the application until July 8.

On July 8, Emefiele through his lawyer, Labi Lawal, urged the court to release his passport, previously deposited as part of his bail conditions, to enable him to travel to the UK for medical treatment.

However, the prosecution counsel, Muhammad Omeiza, argued that no medical report was presented to the court showing that Emefiele was suffering from an ailment that could not be treated in Nigeria.

He added that the defence did not present any medical report showing that an ailment plagued Emefiele.

Lawal told the court that there was also no evidence to show that his ailment cannot be treated in Nigeria.

He also stated that Emefiele posed a flight risk due to his connections with co-conspirators abroad and ongoing trials in three different courts.

However, the defence counsel faulted the prosecution’s arguments as speculative.

He said an international red alert could ensure Emefiele is returned if he did not comply after the medical trip. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Godwin emefiele Justice Hamza Muazu

Post navigation

Previous Edeoga canvasses constitutional reforms for INEC to conduct LG elections
Next Ndume’s position on Tinubu a self-serving blackmail – IMPI

Related Stories

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson
  • National News

Bayelsa Assembly defies court order: Still summons Sagbama Council chairperson

August 18, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

National Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future? – By TOM CHIAHEMEN MACBAN
  • Commentaries

National Ranching Policy: Whose Land, Whose Ranches, Whose Future? – By TOM CHIAHEMEN

August 18, 2026
Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian
  • National News

Troops bust ISWAP network, rescue abducted Cameroonian

August 18, 2026
Scammers
  • National News

August 18, 2026
Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele
  • Business & Economy

Under Tinubu, FAAC allocations peak at N2.8trn monthly, highest ever – Oyedele

August 18, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.