Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Court to deliver ruling in Yahaya Bello’s application to vacate arrest warrant May 10
  • National News

Court to deliver ruling in Yahaya Bello’s application to vacate arrest warrant May 10

Admin April 23, 2024

Yahaya Bello vs EFCC

April 23, 2024

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Tuesday, fixed May 10 for ruling on an application by former Governor of Kogi, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, seeking an order of setting aside the April 17 arrest warrant issued against him.

Justice Emeka Nwite fixed the date after counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Kemi Pinheiro, SAN, and the ex-governor’s lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, SAN, adopted their processes and presented their arguments in the motion.

Justice Nwite had, April 17, issued an arrest warrant to EFCC for Bello’s arrest.

The order was made after lawyer to the anti-graft agency, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, moved the ex-parte application to the effect.

The EFCC had also, on April 18, made an application for a substituted service of its bundies of charge and proof of evidence against Bello after the ex-governor’s lead lawyer, Abdulwahab Mohammed, SAN, declined to receive the documents in the open court.

The judge then adjourned until today for ruling.

However, after the judge directed the EFCC to effect the service of the charge and proof of evidence on Mohammed, who announced an unconditional appearance for Bello in the last adjourned date, Adedipe therefore prayed the court to set aside the arrest warrant.

He argued that the arrest warrant order, having been made before the charge ought to be set aside suo motu (on its own accord, without any request by the parties involved).

The senior lawyer argued that contrary to Pinheiro’s submission that the ex-governor must be in court first before any application could be entertained being a criminal case, he said the anti-graft agency also made an application on April 18 after the warrant arrest was issued to EFCC on April 17 and that the court granted it

According to him, the complainant made an application for substituted service on 18th day of April after the arrest warrant had been issued on 17th day of April and today, my noble lord granted it.

“The court must satisfy itself that the defendant (Bello) will not be prejudiced in fairness if the warrant of arrest continues to hang on his neck, having been made before service of the charge contrary to Section 394 of ACJA,” Adeola argued.

He argued that justice should be a three-way traffic; that is, justice to the prosecution, the defendant and the public.

He said for Bello to appear in court, he must have the notion that he would get justice.

But Pinheiro argued that for the arrest warrant to be vacated, the former governor must be arraigned and took his plea..{NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Abdulwahab Mohammed EFCC Rotimi Oyedepo yahaya bello

Post navigation

Previous Lab scientist docked for allegedly exposing ex-girlfriend’s nude pictures
Next Suspected Herders Kill Three Farmers In Benue State – LG Chair

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze
  • Politics

12 Reasons Adeleke Won Again In Osun Despite All Odds, By Azuh Arinze

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.