Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Burkina Faso assailants kill at least 15 Nigerian pilgrims travelling to Senegal
  • National News

Burkina Faso assailants kill at least 15 Nigerian pilgrims travelling to Senegal

Admin February 7, 2023

President Muhammadu Buhari

Feb. 7, 2023

At least 15 Nigerian Muslim pilgrims on their way to Senegal were killed when gunmen in Burkina Faso attacked the buses transporting them, Nigeria’s presidency said on Monday.

“President Muhammadu Buhari has received the tragic news of the murder,” the State House said in a statement without providing a number of casualties or further details on the attack.

A Nigerian presidency spokesperson said via a WhatsApp message that the death toll stood at 15 “so far”.

According to a Senegalese religious order, unidentified assailants attacked the convoy of buses on Wednesday and killed 18 passengers.

The pilgrims were on their way to a religious ceremony in Senegal from Niger and Nigeria, a trip that involves crossing jihadist hotspots in northern Burkina Faso and central Mali.

“Eighteen passengers lost their lives during these attacks, and most of the survivors were robbed,” the Medina Baye Mosque in Koalack, the Senegalese town where the victims were headed, said in a statement on Saturday.

Nigerian authorities could not immediately be reached for comment.

Nigeria’s presidency said in the statement that it was in touch with Burkinabe authorities and awaiting the outcome of their investigation into the incident.

Burkina Faso’s Foreign Affairs Minister Olivia Rouamba met with Nigeria’s ambassador to the country on Monday to discuss the allegations.

“For the time being there is no concrete information or element picked up on the field that proves the veracity of these facts,” Rouamba said in a statement after the meeting.

She added that authorities had strongly discouraged travel through the north due to “huge risks” of attacks.

Burkina Faso is battling a jihadist insurgency with links to al Qaeda and Islamic State that spilled over from neighbouring Mali in 2015.

Militants have spread over the tri-border area between Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger and encroached on coastal West African states despite costly international efforts to stop them.

Regular attacks on towns and villages, army posts and UN peacekeepers have caused thousands of deaths, displaced over 2 million people across the Sahel and aggravated food insecurity.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: Minister Olivia Rouamba Muhammadu Buhari

Post navigation

Previous Nigerian rights panel, underfunded, overmatched, begins probe of powerful military
Next NCC Commended for regulatory excellence as AfricaNXT 2023 Begins

Related Stories

Two Dead, Two Injured in Fatal Tanker Explosion on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway anambra state
  • National News

Two Dead, Two Injured in Fatal Tanker Explosion on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

August 21, 2026
Group ​‌‌‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‍​⁠‌‌​urges National Assembly to withdraw foreign aid regulation bill Senate
  • National News

Group ​‌‌‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‍​⁠‌‌​urges National Assembly to withdraw foreign aid regulation bill

August 21, 2026
ICPC tracks N2.1bn constituency projects across Lagos Senatorial districts ICPC
  • National News

ICPC tracks N2.1bn constituency projects across Lagos Senatorial districts

August 21, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak Kano
  • Metro News

Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak

August 21, 2026
2 officers ​‌‌‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠​​⁠‌‍‌​ambushed, killed in Ondo – Amotekun incident
  • Metro News

2 officers ​‌‌‌⁠‍‍⁠⁠‌‌‍⁠​​⁠‌‍‌​ambushed, killed in Ondo – Amotekun

August 21, 2026
Police nabs 3 over alleged murder in Anambra  Police
  • Crime and Justice

Police nabs 3 over alleged murder in Anambra 

August 21, 2026
Two Dead, Two Injured in Fatal Tanker Explosion on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway anambra state
  • National News

Two Dead, Two Injured in Fatal Tanker Explosion on Enugu-Onitsha Expressway

August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.