Skip to content
August 22, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • Breaking News: NCC To Continue Sponsorship of Tennis Tournament, to Up Prize Money
  • Breaking News

Breaking News: NCC To Continue Sponsorship of Tennis Tournament, to Up Prize Money

Admin November 2, 2015

NCC tennis semi newThis is official. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) will continue to sponsor the NCC Tennis Tournament, its Acting Executive Vice Chairman (EVC) Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta has confirmed, adding that the decision to continue sponsorship of the tennis championship was buoyed by the sterling success recorded so far in the maiden edition which entered the final stage at the weekend. “We will continue to sponsor this tournament”, an elated Danbatta said.

He spoke at the National Stadium, Abuja, venue of the second Semi- final of the Tennis National Tournament at the weekend. NCC, he said, will also review the prize money upward to ensure that as many teams are attracted from different parts of the country. He said the tournament has helped to foster national unity even as it has elicited more enthusiasm for tennis.

A visibly excited Danbatta who went down memory lane said, he remembered with nostalgia the escapades of Nigeria’s Nduka Odizor who reached the round of 16 in Wimbledon of 1983.

To Danbatta, Odizor was easily one of the global tennis greats at the time but sadly “Nigerian players have not made the desired impact in global Tennis circuits since then.

According to Danbatta: “We are witnesses to how tennis stars have brought fame and fortune to themselves and their nations, and we want to be identified to taking these talented players in Nigeria to the circuit”.

He told the audience at the stadium including, President, Nigeria Tennis Federation, Mr. Sani Ndanusa, President, International Tennis Academy, Mr. Godwin Kienka among others that the main objective of the NCC sponsorship of the tournament is to raise the level of Lawn Tennis which is one of the most popular and lucrative sporting activities.

“Part of our objective is to help in nurturing and exposing these talents through robust competition so as to help them perfect their skills. It is also promoting peace and friendship among the players as this has taken the game to various locations of the country where such competitions have not been held. So far, several matches have been played in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Asaba, Onitsha, Abeokuta, Kaduna, Abuja, and Enugu, with the finals scheduled for Lagos. Another objective of this tournament is so fruitfully engage the players, officials and the youth in some value-driven activities associated with this competition.”

Danbatta said the NCC is glad that most of the objectives of this project have been realized. “We understand that most of the best Nigerian players are featuring in this year’s edition, which has made the quality of the competition to be very high. The cross-section of the people that matter in Nigerian Lawn Tennis sport have honoured us with their presence in some of the tournaments, including Nduka Odizor that I spoke about. We are happy the way the tournament has been organized as shown by the huge turnout at this second semi-final.”

“This is the maiden edition of this tournament, and we are very happy the way the Commission’s gesture has been received since this league tennis was launched on May 23, 2015. We are proud to have added a new version of competition that has energized activities in the Nigerian lawn tennis calendar.

The first Semi-final held in Enugu last week and the winners of the Enugu Semi- final and the Abuja Semi-final will meet at the final in Lagos on December 4 and 5, 2015.

 

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Court to rule on Dasuki’s International Passport Tuesday
Next EFCC Exposes How Pension Syndicate Defrauded FG of N1.2bn, Youth Corper Got N23m Pension

Related Stories

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO refinery
  • Breaking News
  • National News

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO

August 18, 2026
BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Tinubu directs EFCC to vacate the court order freezing Osun account, calls Gov Adeleke

August 6, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners crude oil
  • International News

Oil rises as Trump threatens sanctions on Iran partners

August 21, 2026
Navy discovers, deactivates suspected illegal crude oil infrastructure Naval rating arrested
  • Business & Economy

Navy discovers, deactivates suspected illegal crude oil infrastructure

August 21, 2026
Tinubu suspends 3 Perm Secs over fake agency
  • National News

Tinubu suspends 3 Perm Secs over fake agency

August 21, 2026
Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak Kano
  • Metro News

Kano LG procures drugs to contain suspected diphtheria outbreak

August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.