Skip to content
August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • Breaking News
  • As France mourns 13 soldiers, top general says total victory over insurgents in W/Africa impossible
  • Breaking News
  • International News

As France mourns 13 soldiers, top general says total victory over insurgents in W/Africa impossible

Admin November 28, 2019
french officials

France will never secure total victory over Islamist insurgents in West Africa, its top general said on Wednesday, after 13 soldiers died in a helicopter crash during a combat mission in Mali, France’s worst single loss of troops in 36 years.

General Francois Lecointre said France’s military role in the Sahel region south of the Sahara was “useful, good and necessary”, but it was hard to see the moment when the war would finally be won.

The remarks could embolden opponents of President Emmanuel Macron, in particular on the far-left, who are demanding France plots a way out of the conflict.

“We will never achieve a definitive victory,” Lecointre, chief of staff of the armed forces, told France Inter radio.

The 13 French soldiers were killed in Mali on Monday when two helicopters collided in the dark after being called in to provide air support during a combat mission to track down a band of Islamic State militant fighters.

One source said the operation was in reaction to an attack in Indelimane, Menaka region, in late October that killed at least 53 Malian soldiers and was claimed by Islamic State.

France intervened in Mali in 2013 to repel insurgents advancing out of northern strongholds into central Mali. There are now 4,500 French troops in the wider region, as part of “operation Barkhane”, named for a crescent-shaped sand dune.

However, Islamist militants linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State have strengthened their foothold. Swathes of the arid Sahel region are ungovernable.

“We’re getting results but we have to be patient and persevering,” Lecointre said.

The two black boxes from the Tiger attack helicopter and the Cougar multipurpose helicopter have been recovered, military officials said, and will be central to the investigation into how the accident occurred.

The defense minister, Florence Parly, arrived in Mali to pay tribute to the soldiers who died. France hopes to repatriate the soldiers’ bodies in the days ahead.

Ground commandos had been tracking the group of militants through harsh terrain for several days before making contact on Monday in the Valley of Eranga, central Mali. Air support was called in after a gun-battle erupted.

One local resident described the region where the collision occurred as lawless and overrun by jihadists.

“We call it the red zone. No-one dares wander that way,” the resident said, declining to be identified for fear of retribution.

The area has been a focal point for recent French operations against Islamic State affiliated militants, according to Menastream, a risk consultancy group that monitors jihadist activity in the region.

France has complained to European allies that it is bearing the brunt of a counter-terrorism operation that benefits all Europe.

In June, amid a spike in militant attacks, France urged European powers to provide special forces to support the G5 Sahel force – made up of thousands of soldiers from Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mauritania – as it struggled to contain a rise in violence.

Commitments so far had been minimal and the deaths of the French troops would not encourage more, one western diplomat in West Africa said.

“No European government is keen on body bags,” the diplomat said.

REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: “operation Barkhane” al-Qaeda Emmanuel Macron Florence Parly G5 Valley of Eranga

Post navigation

Previous Sanwo-Olu tasks CDAs, CDCs to take ownership of development projects
Next Alleged fraud: Fayose’s trial stalled

Related Stories

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO refinery
  • Breaking News
  • National News

Landmark $1B Underwriting Deal Paves Way for Record-Breaking Dangote Refinery IPO

August 18, 2026
Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead federal government
  • International News

Charity boat rescues 50 migrants off Libya, seven found dead

August 17, 2026
BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes
  • Breaking News

BREAKING: Jubilation as Adeleke wins Osun election by 511,067 votes

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy
  • Business & Economy

FG invests in 90,000 km fibre-optic network to boost digital economy

August 20, 2026
About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 
  • Business & Economy

About 40 vehicle assembly plants now operational in Nigeria – NADDC 

August 20, 2026
FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister
  • National News

FG plans major housing deliveries in Abuja, Lagos, others — Minister

August 20, 2026
Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee Ekiti abductors
  • National News

Police arrests Chinese national over alleged attempt to rape male employee

August 20, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.