Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • Air accidents: AIB seeks ONSA, NCAA clearance to operate drones in ‘no fly zones’
  • National News

Air accidents: AIB seeks ONSA, NCAA clearance to operate drones in ‘no fly zones’

Admin June 25, 2021

June 25, 2021

The Accident Investigation Bureau (AIB) is seeking clearance from the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) to operate drones in ‘no fly zones’.

The Commissioner of AIB, Mr. Akin Olateru, disclosed this in his presentation on Drone Essence in Accident Investigations at the Drone Technology Conference Exhibition – Dronetech 202- held in Lagos on Friday.

Olateru said that since drones had been programmed not to operate within the zone unless unlock codes were obtained, the bureau would need the permanent unlock authorisation.

He explained that the newly acquired four MAVIC-2 Pro and one Matrice 300 RTK DJI drones are for the purpose of pioneering the use of drones for accident investigation in the West African sub-region.

Olateru explained that the clearance for the usage was currently undergoing certification process by NCAA to authorise it operate drones.

The commissioner, however, added that because of drone regulation process, it cannot operate its drones at accident sites in close proximity (five miles) to the airport areas, which had been tagged ‘no-fly-zone’ without clearance.

“The drone regulations by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority are at work-in progress level, which rarely separates between commercial drone operators and non-commercial/ recreational operators.

“The implication is that a government agency like the AIB cannot operate its drones at accident sites in close proximity (five miles) to the airport areas.

“These areas are tagged ‘no-fly-zone’ unless cleared on case-by-case basis by the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) and the NCAA.’’

He said that obtaining the needed clearances upon the occurrence of an accident would take longer than desired time and keeping in mind that most aviation accidents had occurred around the airport area.

“This limitation will hamper our ability to deploy drones as soon as we arrive at the accident sites in the restricted zones since drones are programmed not to operate within the zone unless unlock codes are obtained.

“Our request to ONSA for permanent unlock authorisation did not receive favourable response,” he said.

Olateru also said that another challenge of drone deployment by the bureau would be the need to maintain currency requirements by providing pilots the necessary trainings.

He also said that as drone and camera technologies develop rapidly, the need for constantly upgrading drones and the software components cannot be over-emphasised.

According to him, these do not come cheap considering that you require high speed processing computers, large memory and storage to render the hundreds of images taken in a single operation.

Olateru said that despite these challenges, Drone technology is a veritable tool at accident sites as they are good for capturing the scene before people start disturbing it.

He added that they could be used to help search for missing wreckage and to perform final flight path reconstruction/ visualizations.

Olateru said in aircraft accident investigation, gathering and documentation of evidence at accident sites are of paramount importance for accurate investigation.

The commissioner said that experience had shown that several evidence at accidents’ sites are perishable which can be destroyed easily if not documented on time. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: AIB Akin Olateru Dronetech 202 NCAA ONSA

Post navigation

Previous About 3m Nigerians suffering varying forms of drug use disorders – UNODC 
Next Buhari Postpones London Trip

Related Stories

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres
  • Society

Spider-Man surpasses $2bn at box office after three weekends in theatres

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports
  • National News

Nigeria Sugar Master Plan 2.0: NSDC Secures $1B Deal and N10B Acceleration Fund to End Imports

August 16, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.