Skip to content
August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • 3,000 IDPs return to Borno after Sambisa forest recapture
  • National News

3,000 IDPs return to Borno after Sambisa forest recapture

Admin December 28, 2016

More than 3,000 people in northeast Nigeria who were forced to flee the seven-year insurgency waged by Islamist militants have returned to their hometown following the reopening of major roads in the area, the army said on Tuesday.

Damasak – in the northwest of Borno, the state worst hit by the militants – was taken over by Boko Haram in late 2014, when it controlled an area the size of Belgium in northeast Nigeria. The insurgents were pushed out of the town by the army in July.

President Muhammadu Buhari said on Saturday that the army had taken back Boko Haram’s main camp in the Sambisa forest.

On Sunday, the government said it was reopening two roads between Borno’s capital, Maiduguri, and the northern towns of Damasak and Baga.

Army spokesman Sani Usman said more than 3,000 people used one of the roads to return to Damasak on Monday.

Reuters was unable to independently verify his statement.

“They were residents of Damasak displaced by the insurgency staying as refugees in the neighboring Niger Republic and internally displaced people in Maiduguri,” he said.

Usman said the returnees went through military security checks when they arrived and were met by local government officials and community leaders.

More than two million people have been displaced during the insurgency as Boko Haram tries to establish an Islamic state, run using a strict interpretation of sharia, in the northeast. About 15,000 people have been killed.

After the announcement that the Sambisa camp had been taken, the Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, said the former game reserve would be used as a military training base to prevent the insurgents returning.

Security analysts say Boko Haram split this year with one faction led by Abubakar Shekau operating from the Sambisa forest and the other, allied to Islamic State and led by Abu Musab al-Barnawi, based in the Lake Chad region.

Despite having been pushed back by a military offensive in the last few months, Boko Haram still stages suicide bombings in northeast Nigeria and in neighboring Niger and Cameroon. REUTERS

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: mainnews mainnews2 newsbar newsticker recommended

Post navigation

Previous Two drug peddlers excrete 50 wraps of cocaine at Lagos airport
Next Oliseh to coach Dutch second division club

Related Stories

Families protest in Nigeria over children abducted nearly 100 days ago bitrus
  • National News

Families protest in Nigeria over children abducted nearly 100 days ago

August 21, 2026
Troops foil Lakurawa terrorists attack in Sokoto border community
  • National News

Troops foil Lakurawa terrorists attack in Sokoto border community

August 21, 2026
Oluyede PDP guber candidate in Ekiti pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
  • National News

Oluyede PDP guber candidate in Ekiti pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

August 21, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Forging Nigeria’s Steel Future: Inside the $1.3B Deal to Revive Delta Steel
  • Special Reports

Forging Nigeria’s Steel Future: Inside the $1.3B Deal to Revive Delta Steel

August 21, 2026
Families protest in Nigeria over children abducted nearly 100 days ago bitrus
  • National News

Families protest in Nigeria over children abducted nearly 100 days ago

August 21, 2026
Troops foil Lakurawa terrorists attack in Sokoto border community
  • National News

Troops foil Lakurawa terrorists attack in Sokoto border community

August 21, 2026
Oluyede PDP guber candidate in Ekiti pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election
  • National News

Oluyede PDP guber candidate in Ekiti pledges support for Tinubu’s re-election

August 21, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.