Skip to content
August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  •  2nd Niger bridge 95% complete, ready for use Q1, 2023 – FG
  • National News

 2nd Niger bridge 95% complete, ready for use Q1, 2023 – FG

Admin October 2, 2022

October 2, 2022

The second Niger bridge has reached 95 per cent completion and will be ready for use by the beginning of 2023.

Mr. Seyi Martins, Ag. Controller of Works in Anambra and Engineers’ representative on the project, said this when he received members of the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) at the site.

Martins said the first phase of the project, which was the bridge proper, was substantially completed adding that what was left was the final asphalt surfacing on the Asaba bound carriageway lane.

He said the asphalt wearing course had been fully laid on Onitsha bound carriageway lane and that every other thing about the bridge, including the streetlights, the handrails, the parapet wall had been completed.

Martins said the bridge, which was about 1.7km parallel to the existing bridge, was a dual carriageway with three lanes on both sides measuring about 1.6km in length while total length of the project was 11.9km.

According to him, the steel guard rails are complete, the roads are set for vehicle traffic; the toll plaza area is almost completed, and what is left is the installation of toll booth canopies.

“The bridge project is 95 percent complete and it is expected to be delivered by the end of December 2022 but there is a second phase which is a 3.3km road approach on the Delta side and 7km of approach road on the Anambra side that is yet to commence.

The Controller said the bridge could be accessed from the interchange at Oba on Onitsha-Owerri road and that a road was being constructed to connect traffic on the Asaba-Benin expressway to it pending the completion of the second phase.

“The second phase of the project is yet to commence, but the government has deemed it fit that upon completion of the first phase it will be open to traffic.

“At the Onitsha end, there is an interchange at Oba, where you can access the bridge and on the Asaba end, there is a link road we are constructing to enable travelers access the bridge from Benin-Onitsha road,” he said.

On his part, Mr. Victor Meju, Chairman of COREN in Anambra, expressed satisfaction with the quality of work done so far and the use of indigenous engineers in the execution of the project.

Meju also commended the contractor, Julius Berger PLC for allowing young and experienced engineers to use the project to deepen and broaden their knowledge of the profession.

“What we have observed today is impressive. We are happy that our members, local engineers, were generously used in this project.

“We thank the Federal Government, the government of Anambra and Delta states for their efforts at seeing that the project came this far; we are confident that the bridge will increase the business activities in the area.

The COREN chairman, however, called on Julius Berger to construct signature roads in Anambra as part of its Corporate Social Responsibility for executing a landmark project in the state.

He said COREN, which was inaugurated about three months ago, was concerned with ensuring that engineers working on projects in Anambra were certified.

“COREN is happy that the contractor, Julius Berger has done some palliatives in some places and also employed our colleagues in the course of executing this project.

“I must say that it is not enough, Julius Berger must do more; right from their office, the road is bad; we expect that they should have some Kilometres of road done by them with their name engraved on it to show they were here,” he said. (NAN

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: COREN Julius Berger Mr. Seyi Martins Mr. Victor Meju

Post navigation

Previous 50 year old man dies as firefighters combat 2 overnight fire incidents in Lagos
Next Hospital delivers mentally-challenged woman of twins in Ekiti

Related Stories

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted
  • National News

BBNaija: Kamsy loses out on N160m cash prize, evicted

August 17, 2026
Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody ICPC
  • National News

Former Kaduna Gov. El-Rufai Sues ICPC, AGF for N10bn Over Denied Family Access in Custody

August 16, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband Police
  • Crime and Justice

Teenager Arrested in Kebbi State for Abducting Newborn Baby to Deceive Husband

August 17, 2026
Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism
  • Commentaries

Groundbreaking ‘Sundiata Post Model’ Concludes, Proposing New Lexicon for 21st-Century Journalism

August 17, 2026
West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns
  • Business & Economy

West Africa cocoa sector struggles to meet EU anti-deforestation rules, raising supply concerns

August 17, 2026
NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena  Ekiti abductors
  • National News

NPF arrests, repatriates Chadian fugitive wanted for murder in N’Djamena 

August 17, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.