Skip to content
August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Political Economist

Political Economist

A liberal News reporting Politics, Sports, Business, Commentaries

  • Home
  • National News
    • Metro News
      • metro
    • Society
    • Crime and Justice
  • Special Reports
    • Investigation
    • Features
    • Interviews
  • Opinion
    • Commentaries
    • Perspectives
  • Press Releases
  • International News
  • Business & Economy
  • Politics
Watch Online
  • Home
  • National News
  • NBTE urges FG to insist 50% of secondary school leavers go for skills training in polytechnics
  • National News

NBTE urges FG to insist 50% of secondary school leavers go for skills training in polytechnics

Admin September 24, 2023

Sept. 24, 2023

Prof. Idris Bugaje, the Executive Secretary, National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), has advocated a mandatory 50 per cent skills acquisition for secondary school students.

He said it would help the students to better understand their interests and abilities, improve them in decision- making, thereby leading to their personal and professional development.

Bugaje said this in an interaction with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on the board’s newly launched top-up programme for HND holders to acquire a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in their choice course.

He said that repositioning the Technical Education and Vocational Training (TVET) of Nigerian students at the secondary levels would greatly assist in identifying talents that would be nurtured to become profitable enterprises.

He added that the country should expose students to skills at their early stage, to be able to develop them.

“If you go to Germany that operates a dual system, right from basic education, they expose their children to skills and at the secondary school, students spend three days in schools and three days in the industries.

“By the time they are ready for higher education, three quarter of them go to the polytechnics and less than one quarter only goes to the university because they have already been exposed within the training received under the dual system.

“In Nigeria, when students come out from tertiary institutions, they have no jobs because they are not fit for the industries.

“So government must change the direction and insist that 50 per cent of our secondary school leavers should go for skills training in polytechnics, maybe 30 per cent can go to the university and 20 per cent to the College of Education (COE),” he said .

The executive secretary added that this step would enable the government to reposition the polytechnics so we can have experts to deliver on our projects.

He expressed concern over the rate at which the country engaged the services of foreign technicians when we had expertise to handle the various projects in the country.

“If you look at the Abuja railway track, it was delivered by the Chinese technicians and we should not allow that to continue because this is leading to capital flight and our youths are there unemployed.

“Why not give our own people the job and the good thing about skills training is that within six months you can finish one level and within four years you can cover eight levels.

“That is why we say the days of degrees are over. In the past degrees were important. In the 19th century, the polytechnics was the best mode of training, it was after the first world war that university began centre stage.

“All the innovations we are talking about, most of them never came from the universities , electricity that was discovered in the 19th century was not from the university, inventions were from artisans and craftsmen.

“So let us develop our own, train them to acquire skills because you can have the degree but have no job,” he said.

He added that the board had already taken steps to unbundle the curriculum to include skills qualification.

Bugaje said that polytechnic students would now be made to learn a skill relating to the course of study before such a student could graduate.

“From this October, we are adding a skill qualification to every curriculum in the NBTE and if you do not acquire the skills qualification you will not graduate.

“We are starting with HND computer science, we have unbundled the course into four. Students will now have to go to Cisco, Microsoft or any of these big players and get a skills certificate on a particular skill.

“So we call this dual certification and this will create employment for Nigerians and as well provide a market for Nigerian youths.

“Indians are taking advantage of that, Bangladesh that has the same population with Nigeria has 11,500 youths working in different part of the world. Morocco export almost half a million youths in the middle east.

“So we are saying that Nigerians should not be left behind. They must take advantage of the skills opportunity they have around them,” he said. (NAN)

  • Facebook
  • Share on X
  • LinkedIn
  • WhatsApp
  • Email
  • Copy Link
Tags: NBTE Prof. Idris Bugaje

Post navigation

Previous Judges being wrongly accused of delay in dispensing justice – Appeal Court
Next FG unveils National Talent Export Programme to boost youth employment 

Related Stories

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
logo

Political Economist is a liberal news magazine with global affiliations.

At Political Economist, we promote free enterprise and act as a catalyst for the growth of knowledge economy. We are proudly pan-Nigeria yet richly spiced with African and global news. We offer a fair and balanced news reportage presented by our team of well-heeled professional journalists. <

About us

  • 5 Olutosin Ajayi Street, By CPM Church, Ajao Estate, Lagos State, Nigeria
  • +234 805 680 1124
  • info@politicaleconomistng.com

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

You may have missed

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects Troops
  • National News

Troops rescue 14 kidnap victims, arrest 16 suspects

August 19, 2026
Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots children
  • National News

Wike Orders Probe of FCT Directors, Bans Use of Green Areas for Car Lots

August 19, 2026
Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz
  • Business & Economy

Oil hits three-week high on uncertainty over Hormuz

August 19, 2026
South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians
  • National News

South African envoy dismisses reports of visa restrictions on Nigerians

August 19, 2026
  • Home
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
Copyright © All rights reserved. | DarkNews by AF themes.